What is Minefield Team Building Initiative Task?
The Minefield Team Building Initiative Task is designed to help your groups team work, communication skills and problem solving skills.
Materials: 12-16 bucket lids or giant puzzle pieces
How to facilitate: Minefield Team Building Initiative Task
- Organize the lids/pieces in to a large 3×4 or 4×4 grid.
- Students will line up on one side of the grid, with their objective being to make it to the opposite side of the grid using the pieces as stepping stones.
- As the group leader you will have already chosen a ‘safe path’ across the grid that the students must take, but they will have to work out what the path is.
- If a student steps on a piece that is not part of the safe path, or was stepped on out of sequence, the group leader will say ‘boom!’, indicating a mine.
- That student will then leave the field and the next student will take their turn. Make sure the students know that there is only one safe path and that they are working together as a team to try and find that safe path.
- To make it easier, tell the students the starting and ending pieces.
- To make it more difficult, include doubling back on the safe path (the students will have to step on some pieces more than once).